Sunday, March 21, 2010

My first year as a survivor.

Yesterday I became another year older. 46 is good. We also celebrated 1 year of survival against cholangiocarcinoma (CC). Surviving 1 year with this is a big thing. (pictures to come soon).

Last year between 2000 and 4000 people were diagnosed with CC.
Last year between 1400 and 2800 people passed away from CC.

That means that I now officially fall into the 30% of those who actually survive the first year following diagnosis.

All things considered, it's been a good year.

I've had 2 liver biopsies.
I've had 2 "tummy cams" (EGD)
I've had 1 colonoscopy.
I've had 40% of my liver, my gall bladder, some of my bile ducts and a lymph node surgically removed.
I did chemo for 6 months.
I've had nearly half a dozen CT scans.
I've had 2 PET scans.
I've had nearly half a dozen ultrasounds on various locations of my body.

I've also been to Alcatraz.
I've been to the Winchester Mystery House.
We went riding roller-coasters at 6 Flags.
We went to Monterey to the aquarium.

I finished my little sidewalk project.
I'm almost debt free.

It's been a busy year. The next one will be just as good I hope. We have plans to go to Ireland for starters.

There are concerns for me though. The last 2 weeks have been pretty rough. I ache a lot. Sleeping through the night is nearly impossible. The couch and I are now good friends. I know more about late night/early morning TV than I care to. I get way too tired way too fast. I get anxiety attacks now. Overall, I just don't feel all too hot.

Maybe once we visit radiation, that will change.

No comments:

Post a Comment